Friday, November 23, 2012

Happy Black Friday Day!


Written by Scott Cooper

I am grateful for the many friends, family, and politicians (many who are friends) who sent messages yesterday on Thanksgiving Day.  We do indeed have much to be thankful for.  I chose not to send a Thanksgiving message, not because I am not thankful – I am.  I am thankful for many, many, things.  My wife, my two sons, my extended family, for the education and experiences I have been blessed with, for many material blessings and for the fact I have had the privilege to grow up in the freest and most prosperous republic in the history of the world.

While I am thankful for all those things and more, yesterday I continued to struggle with deep sadness and exhaustion.  My sadness has not to do with the November 6 election, as some might suspect, but the loss of culture, virtue and the Judeo-Christian values that enabled our republic to be the freest and most prosperous republic in history.

My exhaustion is not because I have not had adequate time for sleep or even that I have not slept well these past several weeks.  I have.  At one point in the last several weeks, to the amazement of my wife, I slept through a violent storm, evidence that I am sleeping in peace!  I believe my feeling of exhaustion is because I recognize the amount of the work required to restore our society back to the values that made it so exceptional, and the apathy of so many standing in the way of this restoration.  Again, I am not speaking of elections I am speaking of values.  Without Divine Providence, which our republic’s founders relied so heavily upon, we will not see the restoration of these values. 


Click the link above to read the entire text.  I want to highlight the third paragraph of George Washington’s 1789 Thanksgiving Proclamation:

“And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech Him to pardon our national and other transgressions; to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually; to render our National Government a blessing to all the people by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed; to protect and guide all sovereigns and nations (especially such as have shown kindness to us), and to bless them with good governments, peace, and concord; to promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the increase of science among them and us; and, generally to grant unto all mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as He alone knows to be best. “

Clearly, George Washington understood that our blessings came from above.  He also understood and promoted that in order to secure continued blessings; we must collectively possess certain traits:

1.      Seek forgiveness of transgressions, both private and public. (Humility)
2.      Perform our individual and collective duties properly and punctually. (Personal Responsibility)
3.      Ensure a government of wise, just and constitutional laws – to be faithfully executed and obeyed. (Accountability)
4.      To bless sovereigns with good government, peace and concord. (Honesty)
5.      To promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue.

Using Mr. Washington’s standards, do we deserve continued blessings?  Without a restoration of these values and principles, I believe we do not.  We are reaping what we have sowed.  It is easy to say that our politicians are to blame, but the reality is, We the People Are To Blame! (Link to previous writing)

Today, on Black Friday 2012, our republic is in a downward spiral.  Many think we can solve our financial woes by opening the stores earlier.  Others, who foster covetousness, (link to previous writing) have called for labor strikes on retail businesses to promote greater equality of results between the rich and the poor.  Personally, I don’t believe the solution lies in either course of action!  We as a nation are sick and we need to review George Washington’s 1789 Thanksgiving Proclamation in depth, especially the third paragraph!

What we need more than anything this Thanksgiving and Christmas season is not an economic revival, but a Spiritual Awakening!  In my opinion, Mr. Washington’s Thanksgiving proclamation actually points us in that direction.  He gave us the recipe.  He did not speak of economic prosperity being achieved through “shopping for the holidays,” through “spreading the wealth”, or “social justice.”  Mr. Washington encouraged seeking forgiveness of sins, personal responsibility, accountability, honesty and the promotion of true religion and virtue.

Please consider spending this season praying for new leadership which is being developed at the local and state level around our country.  Pray for the men and women who are starting to stand in the gates of their local and state communities to say that our collective financial tragedy and potential future economic prosperity are rooted in moral principles.  Continuing to stray from these principles will continue our path of decline.  Returning toward these principles will lead us toward renewed strength as a nation.  These men and women, if they take the required stand in their local and state communities, I believe will one day take the reins of leadership away from those at the Federal level who we have allowed to lead us to the brink we currently face.

Happy Black Friday Day?  Well, that was an interesting title!

May God bless you and your family during the next 32 days – the time period between Black Friday 2012 and Christmas Day!  Remember – Wise Men Still Seek Him!


No comments:

Post a Comment